Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Roayl Druba 3/22/11---4/29/08 RIP




Thank you all for coming and supporting each one of us here as we celebrate the 97 year life of Royal Ernest Druba.

Royal was an avid fisherman, retired Lt. Colonel of the US Army, retired real estate pro, husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather and friend.

Royal is my grandfather. Not by blood, but by marriage. I married his youngest grandson Andrew in 2004!

From the very beginning grandpa Royal and I had a very special bond. We would both be very content sitting together at functions telling stories and tales of both our past and current adventures as well as talk about the future.

We shared something special, and although I don’t really know what it was…we always knew that it was a very true, honest and sincere friendship. We both just genuinely cared for each other.

The evening that he passed I had spent some time with him bedside. I told him who was eliminated off of the last episode of Survivor (one of his favorite shows) and American Idol. I also told him that my son ~ his one and only GREAT grandson Hayden had turned 6 months while he slept. A few short hours later he decided to go on home. In my prayers I asked that he had a huge welcoming committee into those pearly gates! And I’m sure he did.

You see grandpa was a very nice gentleman that had friends everywhere. I have no doubt in my mind that the welcoming committee was a party in itself.

Grandpa Royal enjoyed the last 2 months of his journey here on earth assisting in the care of his great grandson-- and the light that Hayden brought to Grandpa Royals life brought such joy to my soul.

It is because of Hayden that the Druba name continues.

I want to remind you that we mustn’t feel cheated by his loss. He would not have wanted that. Instead pass his stories on and talk about the kind of man he was….remember his presence and attempt to learn a few of his qualities.

Always remember that it is okay to cry. Grandpa cried sometimes too!

Although he was so quickly taken from us, we must celebrate the fact that he lived a happy, healthy, fun, adventurous and a very FULL life. A life that took him on journeys that someone of my age could only imagine.

Today I stand before you encouraging you to celebrate the times we all had with such an honorable and loving man.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Heather,
I cried when you spoke at the service & cried again now. Your tribute to Royal is beautiful and touching.
He is truly a king amoung men. His warmth, his smile, his joy, and his love for all of you will outlast the universe. He has given that gift to all of you, and all of you are passing that gift on to everyone you come in contact with.
Thank you for sharing Royal with us and for being who you are.
Vicki Harris